Skip to main content

#NoLimits

Do you remember those days when you were in primary school and people asked you what you wanted to do when you grew up? At that age, anything seemed possible: professional soccer player, hip-hop dancer, fashion designer... You could dream about doing anything and everything without being scared of failure.

Why is it that when we enter adulthood, doing anything and everything suddenly doesn’t seem so simple anymore?

In the last two weeks, I’ve really gotten into the spirit of the Olympics and I’ve been blown away from many of the athletes’ stories. Of course, American gymnast Simone Biles, American swimmer Michael Phelps and Jamaican sprint super star Usain Bolt have been amongst my favorites to follow thus far, but these champions haven’t been the only competitors that have caught my attention. 

As I continue to watch more and more events on television, it's become apparent that there are athletes of all ages at the Rio games. This year, the youngest athlete, swimmer Gaurika Singh from Nepal, is only 13 years old. On the other hand, the oldest athlete, equestrian Julie Brougham from New Zealand, is 62 and is participating in her very first Olympic games. Surprisingly, Julie isn't the oldest athlete in the history of the Olympic games. Oscar Swahn, a Swedish shooter, was 72 years old when he competed in his 3rd olympics back in 1920.

This past weekend, I attended the CanFitPro World Fitness Expo in Toronto and as I walked around, of course I noticed that there were fitness professionals and enthusiasts of all ages. In particular though, in one of my workshops, the toughest one I attended actually, there was a lady that was over 80 years old. I didn’t see her do the workout, as I was somewhere up front ‘dying’, but I was blown away when I learned her age at the end of a class which included many push-ups, planks, squats and a massive amount of cardio. 

Now, I’m 31…appearently not too young, but also not too old. The idea of someday representing Canada at the Olympics may seem a bit farfetched, but hey, I guess you never know. One thing I'm convinced of though is that we should never put a limit on our goals and dreams, whether it's our age or sex, our origin, race or religion, or even a disability or medical condition. If we want something badly enough, there are no limits to what we can achieve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a World Full of Noise, Let’s Show Understanding

“Not everyone processes uncertainty the same way, and that’s okay.” The past few days have been unexpected. What started as a normal Saturday - coaching at the gym, breakfast with a friend, catching up on work with the TV on in the background - quickly changed when I heard a loud “boom” coming from outside my apartment. At first, many of us in the community assumed it came from one of the many nearby construction sites. But, within the next few hours, the loud sounds came again and again, and word spread that these were missiles and drones being intercepted in the sky. I’ve always felt safe here in the UAE, and believe it or not, to a certain extent, I still do. Like many other residents here, I have a lot of trust in the country I’ve chosen to call home for over 11 years. I’ve seen it overcome challenges in the past, such as COVID and floods, and I’ve witnessed how much the leadership cares for the residents, particularly over the last few days.  That said, it’s no secret that I a...

Back on the Dubai running scene

  “The beauty of running is in its simplicity; just you, your breath, and the road ahead.” After a long hiatus, I finally made my return to the Dubai running race scene! When I first lived here between 2012 and 2017, I took part in many road races and absolutely loved the local running community. Even after moving to Vietnam, I kept the momentum going for a while, completing a few 10km, 21km and even a full marathon, especially in my first year there. But as I got more into CrossFit in 2018, running gradually took a back seat. Since then, I’ve continued to run, but without the same structure, purpose, or goals I once had. That all changed a couple of months ago when I decided to reignite my running spark and even joined a few run club sessions. I’ll be honest; those group runs have really pushed me out of my comfort zone! I’ve always loved a nice, long, slow run, but short and speedy intervals? Not so much. Still, being surrounded by people who share a similar mindset, who challeng...

Winter Walks & Warm Talks

  “Some moments are soft in pace, but solid in memory.” A few days in London felt like the perfect way to begin my winter travels.  Reconnecting with friends I hadn’t seen in a few years, reminiscing about the good old Dubai days, sharing favourite memories, and laughing until our cheeks hurt made the short stop incredibly special. It was one of those easy, unhurried breaks where every moment felt light, warm, and full of joy. The city itself was glowing with Christmas magic. Twinkling lights, festive decorations everywhere, and relaxed strolls past decorated homes, Big Ben, the London Eye, Christmas markets, Covent Garden, and charming streets and corners brought the season to life. A truly beautiful way to kick off the holiday travels.