Skip to main content

Vietnam has heart

#thisisVietnam

Last Saturday night, as we were sitting in the lobby of a hotel, we heard people cheering next door in a restaurant. We were curious to know what was happening, so we had a look and noticed that they were watching a football match on TV. Of course, we sat down and watched the end of the game, which ended in an exciting shoot-out. Later, we found out that it was the Vietnamese U23 men's football team that was competing in the Asian Cup in China; they had just won the quarterfinal vs. Iraq. 

On Tuesday evening, some staff members and students stayed at school after classes and streamed the semi-final game against Qatar. Again, Vietnam won in a shoot-out. As I made my way to the gym after watching the match, I realized how excited people were. Locals and expats were driving around screaming, chanting, waving flags...even jumping up and down shirtless spraying motorists and pedestrians with hoses!

It became evident to me that this was a very big deal to the Vietnamese and so I decided right then that I wanted to watch the final game and participate in the festivities too! 

On Saturday, I made my way downtown with a few teammates and joined a large group of fans on a rooftop, right in the center of the action. The atmosphere was absolutely AMAZING! The city was at a standstill. EVERYONE was trying to catch a glimpse of the very unique (IT WAS FREEZING AND SNOWING HEAVILY IN CHINA!!!) game between Vietnam and Uzbekistan. 

Up on the rooftop - cheering on Vietnam with a few teammates

Up on the rooftop - watching the game with locals and expats

View from the rooftop - They had screens set-up downtown on "walking street" for the public to watch the game

It looked for a while like we'd be seeing Vietnam go to a shoot-out again, which I believe is what they hoped for quite honestly as they played defensively throughout the competition. Unfortunately, in the very last minute of extra time, Uzbekistan scored and took home the gold.

It was incredibly sad to see Vietnam lose, and I know the fans were so disappointed, but the majority still went on cheering in the streets and celebrating the teams success. Even with a loss, the country showed unity, heart and great deal of national pride. I felt honored to have been a part of such a historic moment; it was the first time a Vietnamese national team made it to the final of a continental championship!

Vietnam has heart! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a World Full of Noise, Let’s Show Understanding

“Not everyone processes uncertainty the same way, and that’s okay.” The past few days have been unexpected. What started as a normal Saturday - coaching at the gym, breakfast with a friend, catching up on work with the TV on in the background - quickly changed when I heard a loud “boom” coming from outside my apartment. At first, many of us in the community assumed it came from one of the many nearby construction sites. But, within the next few hours, the loud sounds came again and again, and word spread that these were missiles and drones being intercepted in the sky. I’ve always felt safe here in the UAE, and believe it or not, to a certain extent, I still do. Like many other residents here, I have a lot of trust in the country I’ve chosen to call home for over 11 years. I’ve seen it overcome challenges in the past, such as COVID and floods, and I’ve witnessed how much the leadership cares for the residents, particularly over the last few days.  That said, it’s no secret that I a...

Back on the Dubai running scene

  “The beauty of running is in its simplicity; just you, your breath, and the road ahead.” After a long hiatus, I finally made my return to the Dubai running race scene! When I first lived here between 2012 and 2017, I took part in many road races and absolutely loved the local running community. Even after moving to Vietnam, I kept the momentum going for a while, completing a few 10km, 21km and even a full marathon, especially in my first year there. But as I got more into CrossFit in 2018, running gradually took a back seat. Since then, I’ve continued to run, but without the same structure, purpose, or goals I once had. That all changed a couple of months ago when I decided to reignite my running spark and even joined a few run club sessions. I’ll be honest; those group runs have really pushed me out of my comfort zone! I’ve always loved a nice, long, slow run, but short and speedy intervals? Not so much. Still, being surrounded by people who share a similar mindset, who challeng...

Winter Walks & Warm Talks

  “Some moments are soft in pace, but solid in memory.” A few days in London felt like the perfect way to begin my winter travels.  Reconnecting with friends I hadn’t seen in a few years, reminiscing about the good old Dubai days, sharing favourite memories, and laughing until our cheeks hurt made the short stop incredibly special. It was one of those easy, unhurried breaks where every moment felt light, warm, and full of joy. The city itself was glowing with Christmas magic. Twinkling lights, festive decorations everywhere, and relaxed strolls past decorated homes, Big Ben, the London Eye, Christmas markets, Covent Garden, and charming streets and corners brought the season to life. A truly beautiful way to kick off the holiday travels.