Skip to main content

When the body says NO


#thebestisyettocome2021

“If you don’t know how to say no, your body will say it for you...”

My latest study has been of a book titled ‘When the body says no - The cost of hidden stress” by Gabor Mate, a Hungarian-Canadian physician. This publication further explores the mind-body connection; it uses medical research, interviews and case studies to show the relationship between our brain and our bodily systems (particularly our immune system) as well as the effects of stress on our health (especially the hidden stresses we all generate from our early programming). 

As I read the first few chapters of the book and learned about the mind-body link with conditions such as multiple sclerosis, cancer, ALS, arthritis, Alzheimer’s, asthma, ulcerative colitis, inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome, I felt unsurprised, yet I also felt an overwhelming sense of sadness and fear. That said, as I wrapped up the final pages and embarked on a journey to better understand why I am the way I am and how I can improve my stress management, I felt enlightened, empowered and hopeful.


We all face stress at one time or another. Stress is considered to be a state of physical, mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from demands that exceed our capacity to fulfill them. It destabilizes the body’s sense of balance. Sometimes, we experience ‘good stress’ that’s beneficial and motivating, such as during a gym workout or when we start a new job. This kind of ‘good stress’ can often help move us forward in life and accomplish wonderful goals (some people actually become addicted to this kind of stress). Unfortunately, just like ‘bad stress’ which can cause anxiety and health problems, such as a break-up or the loss of a relative, too much ‘good stress’ can also lead to unwanted consequences, such as fatigue. For many of us, stress (good and bad) adds up over time and if we don’t find ways to deal with it appropriately, eventually, our body will have endured enough and it will find ways to let us know; that is, our emotional reactions will impact our physiology.

Most individuals won’t talk openly about their struggles with stress, they won’t pay attention to the signals and they will just let it take its toll on their body thinking this is normal. However, those abdominal pains, headaches, breathing difficulties, chest pains, heart palpitations, sudden changes in appetite, weight fluctuations, episodes of acid reflux, feelings of fatigue, panic attacks, bouts of crying, sleepless nights…those are NOT normal. Those are all very likely signs that your body has endured its fair share of stress.


At some point it’s up to YOU to say ENOUGH is ENOUGH!


To move forward, it’s crucial to understand why a particular situation will cause stress to one individual, but not to another. To better comprehend this, we must take a look back in time. Generations upon generations have helped form who we each are today. You see, our parents helped shape us, but their own parents’ experiences and actions shaped them and led them to, both consicouly and unconsciously, raise us in a certain way. Our past experiences (particularly our childhood) have most definitely contributed to the development of our emotional and psychological patterns and our coping mechanisms, which shape who we are and how we approach various situations.

***

At the end of the book, the author suggests some principles to help heal and prevent illness from hidden stress; he called them the 7 As of healing.


The 7 As of healing

  1. Acceptance: Accept yourself as you are and recognize that you are worthy of compassion.
  2. Awareness: Be aware of what your body is telling you and listen to what your body feels.
  3. Anger: Permit yourself to experience and express anger in a productive and healthy way, while contemplating what may have triggered it.
  4. Autonomy: Know yourself and what you value, then establish (or reclaim) your control and your boundaries.
  5. Attachment: Be connected to others and don’t be afraid to rely on them for support.
  6. Assertion: Just be you, without needing to justify your presence, thoughts, feelings and actions.
  7. Affirmation: Honour your creative self and your connection to the universe (a greater purpose and/or higher power) to know that you’re not alone and to move towards something of value.
“Healing is not about staying away from something bad, but about living a life led by positive values and intentions.”

***


Stress is often forgotten, ignored and/or dismissed in the development of illness and disease, however, if we consider a holistic approach to healing, it is crucial we look at the whole-body (body, mind and soul/physical, emotional, social and spiritual wellbeing), while considering all possible contributing factors, such as genes, biological make-up, environment, culture, society, childhood, experiences, context, emotional and psychological patterns…


We can’t control every aspect of our body, but we can learn to understand it better. If you’re experiencing some ‘odd’ symptoms within you, I can’t advise you enough to, stop, to listen to your body, to reflect on your past experiences and present situation, to try implementing the 7 As of healing and, if nothing changes, to seek help! 


Seeking help (e.g. from a life coach, psychologist, therapist or counselor) is not a sign of weakness as some may lead you to believe, but rather a sign of strength in my opinion because you are making the decision to do what’s best for you. Asking for support with mental health is no different than getting assistance with physical health (e.g. nutritionist and/or personal trainer). 


Remember, if you’re not healthy (physically and mentally), you can’t possibly perform to the best of your abilities in any area in your life. As some people say: The greatest wealth is health!

“It’s up to you today to start making healthy choices. 

Not choices that are just healthy for your body, but healthy for your mind.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a World Full of Noise, Let’s Show Understanding

“Not everyone processes uncertainty the same way, and that’s okay.” The past few days have been unexpected. What started as a normal Saturday - coaching at the gym, breakfast with a friend, catching up on work with the TV on in the background - quickly changed when I heard a loud “boom” coming from outside my apartment. At first, many of us in the community assumed it came from one of the many nearby construction sites. But, within the next few hours, the loud sounds came again and again, and word spread that these were missiles and drones being intercepted in the sky. I’ve always felt safe here in the UAE, and believe it or not, to a certain extent, I still do. Like many other residents here, I have a lot of trust in the country I’ve chosen to call home for over 11 years. I’ve seen it overcome challenges in the past, such as COVID and floods, and I’ve witnessed how much the leadership cares for the residents, particularly over the last few days.  That said, it’s no secret that I a...

Back on the Dubai running scene

  “The beauty of running is in its simplicity; just you, your breath, and the road ahead.” After a long hiatus, I finally made my return to the Dubai running race scene! When I first lived here between 2012 and 2017, I took part in many road races and absolutely loved the local running community. Even after moving to Vietnam, I kept the momentum going for a while, completing a few 10km, 21km and even a full marathon, especially in my first year there. But as I got more into CrossFit in 2018, running gradually took a back seat. Since then, I’ve continued to run, but without the same structure, purpose, or goals I once had. That all changed a couple of months ago when I decided to reignite my running spark and even joined a few run club sessions. I’ll be honest; those group runs have really pushed me out of my comfort zone! I’ve always loved a nice, long, slow run, but short and speedy intervals? Not so much. Still, being surrounded by people who share a similar mindset, who challeng...

Winter Walks & Warm Talks

  “Some moments are soft in pace, but solid in memory.” A few days in London felt like the perfect way to begin my winter travels.  Reconnecting with friends I hadn’t seen in a few years, reminiscing about the good old Dubai days, sharing favourite memories, and laughing until our cheeks hurt made the short stop incredibly special. It was one of those easy, unhurried breaks where every moment felt light, warm, and full of joy. The city itself was glowing with Christmas magic. Twinkling lights, festive decorations everywhere, and relaxed strolls past decorated homes, Big Ben, the London Eye, Christmas markets, Covent Garden, and charming streets and corners brought the season to life. A truly beautiful way to kick off the holiday travels.