Skip to main content

Tis’ the season

 

#respecttheoldseekoutthenew2022

"Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store. 
Maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more."

I still remember some of the Christmas gatherings we had as children. 
There were quite a few times when we would hop in the car and travel several hours to visit our grandparents, aunts and uncles, as well as our cousins. 
We use to really look forward to opening gifts on Christmas eve and/or on Christmas morning. 
Above all though, when I think back, the best part of the winter holidays was definitely spending time with one another.

The last Christmas we all spent together was in 2015 I believe.

As we've grown older and the family dynamics have changed (passings, relocations, marriages, babies, job commitments, goals and dreams...), Christmas gatherings have become more challenging and unfortunately less frequent. 

This holiday season, I could've remained in Dubai, as I've done on a few prior occasions, or of course I could have travelled to a new destination on my 'wish list', but I decided that ultimately, I just wanted to spend some time with family...and relax!

First, I headed to Canada where I got to spend time with my parents, as well as my youngest brother, sister-in-law and niece. I also had the opportunity to catch up with a close friend, watch lots of Christmas movies, do a few low-intensity gym sessions and 'enjoy' the colder weather with a dusting of snow.

My parents and I.

My brother, sister-in-law and niece opening gifts.

I was hoping for a white Christmas.

Next, I made my way to Germany to visit with my other brother and his family. While I was  there, I was lucky enough to catch 2 of his hockey games, which is something I have missed quite a bit while living abroad the last 10 years.

My brother, sister-in-law, niece and nephew after an epic hockey game.

Landshut, Germany.

Busy bodies.

It wasn't a whole family gathering like we once knew, nor was it a typical holiday for me, as I would usually want to keep myself super busy and do lots of exciting things, but believe it or not, I truly enjoyed the break from my usual routine, the 'down time' to rest, reflect, reset and recharge, and of course all the moments spent with each of my family members.

"Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a World Full of Noise, Let’s Show Understanding

“Not everyone processes uncertainty the same way, and that’s okay.” The past few days have been unexpected. What started as a normal Saturday - coaching at the gym, breakfast with a friend, catching up on work with the TV on in the background - quickly changed when I heard a loud “boom” coming from outside my apartment. At first, many of us in the community assumed it came from one of the many nearby construction sites. But, within the next few hours, the loud sounds came again and again, and word spread that these were missiles and drones being intercepted in the sky. I’ve always felt safe here in the UAE, and believe it or not, to a certain extent, I still do. Like many other residents here, I have a lot of trust in the country I’ve chosen to call home for over 11 years. I’ve seen it overcome challenges in the past, such as COVID and floods, and I’ve witnessed how much the leadership cares for the residents, particularly over the last few days.  That said, it’s no secret that I a...

Back on the Dubai running scene

  “The beauty of running is in its simplicity; just you, your breath, and the road ahead.” After a long hiatus, I finally made my return to the Dubai running race scene! When I first lived here between 2012 and 2017, I took part in many road races and absolutely loved the local running community. Even after moving to Vietnam, I kept the momentum going for a while, completing a few 10km, 21km and even a full marathon, especially in my first year there. But as I got more into CrossFit in 2018, running gradually took a back seat. Since then, I’ve continued to run, but without the same structure, purpose, or goals I once had. That all changed a couple of months ago when I decided to reignite my running spark and even joined a few run club sessions. I’ll be honest; those group runs have really pushed me out of my comfort zone! I’ve always loved a nice, long, slow run, but short and speedy intervals? Not so much. Still, being surrounded by people who share a similar mindset, who challeng...

Winter Walks & Warm Talks

  “Some moments are soft in pace, but solid in memory.” A few days in London felt like the perfect way to begin my winter travels.  Reconnecting with friends I hadn’t seen in a few years, reminiscing about the good old Dubai days, sharing favourite memories, and laughing until our cheeks hurt made the short stop incredibly special. It was one of those easy, unhurried breaks where every moment felt light, warm, and full of joy. The city itself was glowing with Christmas magic. Twinkling lights, festive decorations everywhere, and relaxed strolls past decorated homes, Big Ben, the London Eye, Christmas markets, Covent Garden, and charming streets and corners brought the season to life. A truly beautiful way to kick off the holiday travels.