Skip to main content

Competitive Me vs. Balanced Me

 “Somewhere between training for performance and training for enjoyment, I’m still figuring out where I belong.”

Just a couple weeks ago, I signed up for Deka Fit Dubai. No specific training plan. No real preparation. And, if I'm honest, I wasn't even sure what I was getting myself into.

I'd been considering Hyrox Abu Dhabi, but something in me wanted to try something different. So I signed up for Deka pretty late and decided to see what happened.

Over the last few years, my relationship with training has changed a lot. I still train consistently; I run, do cardio, lift weights, strength train… but I'm nowhere near the performance level I was a few years ago and I've stepped away from competing as much as I once did.

These days, I try to enjoy training without always having a target. No specific event. No particular time to chase. Just moving, keeping fit, maintaining a bit of strength, and most importantly enjoying the process.

So, Deka was really about testing the waters. Could I still push myself? Where am I actually at? And could I compete without putting all the pressure on myself that I used to?

The answer, thankfully, was yes.

I definitely wasn't competition-ready in the way I once would have been. There were movements I'd never even done before, sit-up wall balls, for example.

I did a bit of research the night before, worked out roughly what sort of time I should be capable of, and went in with a pretty loose idea of what to expect. And somehow, I was pretty much bang on with the time I'd predicted. Which was a nice reminder that even if I don't feel as fit as I once was, there's still a lot in the tank when I really need to dig deep. Competition does funny things to you, and you can always seem to find another gear.

Of course, competitive me didn't stay quiet for long. The second I saw my splits, I was analysing them; thinking about where I could’ve pushed harder, lost a little time, what I need to work on… That is the eternal battle between competitive me and balanced me.

I can absolutely see myself doing Deka again, and I know that if I actually trained specifically for the movements, worked on my transitions and spent a few weeks preparing properly, I'm pretty sure I could knock a decent chunk off my time.

But...

Do I actually want to?

Do I want to get back on the competition train with structured programming, specific goals, chasing times and training with a purpose?

Or, do I want to keep doing what I've been doing lately?

Enjoying my training.
Mixing things up.
Running when I feel like running.
Lifting because I enjoy lifting.
And occasionally throwing myself into something completely different just to see what happens.

Maybe I don't need to choose just yet.

For now, I'm just glad I said yes to doing Deka. I tried something different. I competed without putting huge expectations on myself. I pushed harder than I thought I might. And, most importantly, I had fun.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a World Full of Noise, Let’s Show Understanding

“Not everyone processes uncertainty the same way, and that’s okay.” The past few days have been unexpected. What started as a normal Saturday - coaching at the gym, breakfast with a friend, catching up on work with the TV on in the background - quickly changed when I heard a loud “boom” coming from outside my apartment. At first, many of us in the community assumed it came from one of the many nearby construction sites. But, within the next few hours, the loud sounds came again and again, and word spread that these were missiles and drones being intercepted in the sky. I’ve always felt safe here in the UAE, and believe it or not, to a certain extent, I still do. Like many other residents here, I have a lot of trust in the country I’ve chosen to call home for over 11 years. I’ve seen it overcome challenges in the past, such as COVID and floods, and I’ve witnessed how much the leadership cares for the residents, particularly over the last few days.  That said, it’s no secret that I a...

Back on the Dubai running scene

  “The beauty of running is in its simplicity; just you, your breath, and the road ahead.” After a long hiatus, I finally made my return to the Dubai running race scene! When I first lived here between 2012 and 2017, I took part in many road races and absolutely loved the local running community. Even after moving to Vietnam, I kept the momentum going for a while, completing a few 10km, 21km and even a full marathon, especially in my first year there. But as I got more into CrossFit in 2018, running gradually took a back seat. Since then, I’ve continued to run, but without the same structure, purpose, or goals I once had. That all changed a couple of months ago when I decided to reignite my running spark and even joined a few run club sessions. I’ll be honest; those group runs have really pushed me out of my comfort zone! I’ve always loved a nice, long, slow run, but short and speedy intervals? Not so much. Still, being surrounded by people who share a similar mindset, who challeng...

Winter Walks & Warm Talks

  “Some moments are soft in pace, but solid in memory.” A few days in London felt like the perfect way to begin my winter travels.  Reconnecting with friends I hadn’t seen in a few years, reminiscing about the good old Dubai days, sharing favourite memories, and laughing until our cheeks hurt made the short stop incredibly special. It was one of those easy, unhurried breaks where every moment felt light, warm, and full of joy. The city itself was glowing with Christmas magic. Twinkling lights, festive decorations everywhere, and relaxed strolls past decorated homes, Big Ben, the London Eye, Christmas markets, Covent Garden, and charming streets and corners brought the season to life. A truly beautiful way to kick off the holiday travels.