“If not now, when?”
Puerto Rico had been on my mind for a little while, but I kept finding excuses not to go; I had other places I wanted to see, traveling there can be expensive and traveling solo isn’t always the most fun. But, I've always loved traveling to Latin American countries (yes, I am aware PR isn’t exactly a country), that's essentially where my love of traveling really began. The food, the music, the energy, the language…that Latin vibe is something pretty special in my opinion.
This summer, I finally decided to stop thinking about it and just go for it, even if it meant spending a little more money, doing it alone, and arriving in the middle of a water shortage.
What better way to begin the trip than with an entire plane’s applause upon landing? It was such an unexpected moment, but one that I later learned was all part of the cultural experience. My taxi driver continued the warm welcome on the way to my hotel, sharing local tips and giving me plenty of recommendations.
A few days in San Juan gave me a little taste of what I'd been curious about these last few years. I wandered the colorful streets of Old San Juan, ran along the coast to Condado, ate plenty of good food (including mofongo, arroz jíbaro and my absolute favorite, sweet plantains), drank a refreshing virgin piña colada, spent an adventurous morning in El Yunque, visited a local CrossFit box, and still managed to make plenty of time for reading and afternoon naps.
Of course, I was hoping to practise my Spanish, but that part didn't quite go according to plan. Nearly everyone spoke English, and quite often they switched to it before I even had a chance to speak to them in Spanish. Unfortunately, if I have an easy way out and don't have to struggle through it, I usually won't voluntarily make myself suffer. Interestingly, I probably used my Spanish more in Miami in the following days than during my stay in Puerto Rico.
It was a short trip and definitely not enough time to see everything Puerto Rico has to offer. I mainly stayed around San Juan and didn't get to experience any beautiful beaches, but at least I finally made it there and got a little taste of San Juan and Puerto Rico. A little adventure, a little relaxation, and just enough to satisfy my travel itch…for now!




Comments
Post a Comment