Skip to main content

Teacher Tales


Ever heard of Jaime Alfonso Escalante Gutierrez, Joe Louis Clark, Erin Gruwell or Ron L. Clark? 

They are remarkable teachers I discovered through watching movies and reading books when I first began teaching over 8 years ago. 

They are all educators that inspired me (and continue to motivate me) to step-up my game as a teacher.

-Jaime Alfonso Escalante Gutierrez was a Bolivian educator known for teaching students calculus from 1974 to 1991 at Garfield High School, East Los Angeles, California.  – Watch STAND AND DELIVER! J
-Joe Louis Clark is the former principal of Eastside High School in Paterson, one of New Jersey's toughest inner city schools. Clark gained public attention in the 1980s for his unconventional and controversial disciplinary measures.  – Watch LEAN ON ME! J

-Erin Gruwell is an American teacher known for her unique teaching method, which led to the publication of The Freedom Writers Diary: How a Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to Change Themselves and the World Around Them. – Watch The Freedom Writers! J

-Ron L. Clark, Jr. is an American educator who has worked with disadvantaged students in rural North Carolina and New York City and founded the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta, Georgia.  – Watch The Ron Clark Story! J


In the beginning, when I decided to study education and to become a teacher, I didn’t really know why I wanted to do it. For some reason, I just figured it was what I was supposed to do. Throughout the years, I have faced many ups and downs (as many teachers do) and I have indeed questioned whether I’ve chosen the right profession. Fortunately, I opt to keep hold of those bright moments that occur every so often to help prove to myself that my career choice is as it should be.

Like…
-       those moments I’ve found myself getting through to those really “difficult” students whom many have failed to reach;
-       that moment a student told me that I had inspired her to pursue her dreams;
-       those moments the students smiled so big because of the extraordinary school trips and events I had organized for them – some they never thought they’d ever have the chance to experience;
-       those moments I walk across the school yard and run into students who are shouting my name, waving their hands and rushing towards me to give me the warmest hug - just because;
-       those moments parents thank me for the extra time and support I’m providing their children –whether it be academically or not;
-       those moments I witness the children progress, succeed and go beyond their limits – in and out of the classroom;
-       …


I must admit that for me, teaching has become so much more than conducting lessons about language, math, sciences, social studies, PE, arts, etc. I personally thrive on the bonds I get to create with students as I work towards developing their levels of courage, of honesty, of enthusiasm, of respect, of cooperation and of compassion. 

Teaching for me isn’t meant to be a job; it’s meant to be a passion.



Here are some tales from a few other fantastic educators I’ve had the pleasure of coming across at some point and time throughout my career.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a World Full of Noise, Let’s Show Understanding

“Not everyone processes uncertainty the same way, and that’s okay.” The past few days have been unexpected. What started as a normal Saturday - coaching at the gym, breakfast with a friend, catching up on work with the TV on in the background - quickly changed when I heard a loud “boom” coming from outside my apartment. At first, many of us in the community assumed it came from one of the many nearby construction sites. But, within the next few hours, the loud sounds came again and again, and word spread that these were missiles and drones being intercepted in the sky. I’ve always felt safe here in the UAE, and believe it or not, to a certain extent, I still do. Like many other residents here, I have a lot of trust in the country I’ve chosen to call home for over 11 years. I’ve seen it overcome challenges in the past, such as COVID and floods, and I’ve witnessed how much the leadership cares for the residents, particularly over the last few days.  That said, it’s no secret that I a...

Back on the Dubai running scene

  “The beauty of running is in its simplicity; just you, your breath, and the road ahead.” After a long hiatus, I finally made my return to the Dubai running race scene! When I first lived here between 2012 and 2017, I took part in many road races and absolutely loved the local running community. Even after moving to Vietnam, I kept the momentum going for a while, completing a few 10km, 21km and even a full marathon, especially in my first year there. But as I got more into CrossFit in 2018, running gradually took a back seat. Since then, I’ve continued to run, but without the same structure, purpose, or goals I once had. That all changed a couple of months ago when I decided to reignite my running spark and even joined a few run club sessions. I’ll be honest; those group runs have really pushed me out of my comfort zone! I’ve always loved a nice, long, slow run, but short and speedy intervals? Not so much. Still, being surrounded by people who share a similar mindset, who challeng...

Winter Walks & Warm Talks

  “Some moments are soft in pace, but solid in memory.” A few days in London felt like the perfect way to begin my winter travels.  Reconnecting with friends I hadn’t seen in a few years, reminiscing about the good old Dubai days, sharing favourite memories, and laughing until our cheeks hurt made the short stop incredibly special. It was one of those easy, unhurried breaks where every moment felt light, warm, and full of joy. The city itself was glowing with Christmas magic. Twinkling lights, festive decorations everywhere, and relaxed strolls past decorated homes, Big Ben, the London Eye, Christmas markets, Covent Garden, and charming streets and corners brought the season to life. A truly beautiful way to kick off the holiday travels.