Skip to main content

Know your limits

 “Know when to push, know when to pull back, know when enough is enough.”

I should be in Egypt right now, competing in a big fitness competition I qualified for over the summer…but nope!

Over the last few months, my anxiety levels began rising again, and after a few consecutive breakdowns, and several nights of poor sleep, I knew it would be wise to ‘take something off my plate’. 

Knowing myself, and my competitive edge, I could’ve still competed even with the bad sleep, diet and training, but at what cost? 


Withdrawing from the competition was a really difficult last minute decision. I felt I was failing at seeing something through that I had committed to. However, I know that there are more important things in life, especially my health.

Even though I didn’t make it to the competition floor, I know deep down that my efforts in training have not been for nothing. There have been several ‘wins’ over the last few months. Most of my gymnastic skills improved, I hit some new PRs on a few lifts, and I even learned to swim with better technique. I’ve had the opportunity to compete with friends for fun, as well as to meet, train and compete alongside some new athletes in my area. Ultimately though, the biggest win of all was that I got to know more about myself, both body and mind, and I that I chose to prioritze my health above all.

Lately, I have been reflecting alot on the kind of athlete I want to be, at this stage of my life. Despite the fact that I still want to compete from time to time, I don’t want to add additional and unnecessary stress to my life.

I want training to be something I want to do, not something I feel I must do. 

I want to remain disciplined, but also allow for some flexibility, especially with regards to the type of training I do. 

I want to push my boundaries, stretch beyond my comfort zone, and continue to grow, but never at the cost of my health.

“So, now, it’s just showing up, being in a good headspace, having fun out there, and whatever happens, happens.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a World Full of Noise, Let’s Show Understanding

“Not everyone processes uncertainty the same way, and that’s okay.” The past few days have been unexpected. What started as a normal Saturday - coaching at the gym, breakfast with a friend, catching up on work with the TV on in the background - quickly changed when I heard a loud “boom” coming from outside my apartment. At first, many of us in the community assumed it came from one of the many nearby construction sites. But, within the next few hours, the loud sounds came again and again, and word spread that these were missiles and drones being intercepted in the sky. I’ve always felt safe here in the UAE, and believe it or not, to a certain extent, I still do. Like many other residents here, I have a lot of trust in the country I’ve chosen to call home for over 11 years. I’ve seen it overcome challenges in the past, such as COVID and floods, and I’ve witnessed how much the leadership cares for the residents, particularly over the last few days.  That said, it’s no secret that I a...

Back on the Dubai running scene

  “The beauty of running is in its simplicity; just you, your breath, and the road ahead.” After a long hiatus, I finally made my return to the Dubai running race scene! When I first lived here between 2012 and 2017, I took part in many road races and absolutely loved the local running community. Even after moving to Vietnam, I kept the momentum going for a while, completing a few 10km, 21km and even a full marathon, especially in my first year there. But as I got more into CrossFit in 2018, running gradually took a back seat. Since then, I’ve continued to run, but without the same structure, purpose, or goals I once had. That all changed a couple of months ago when I decided to reignite my running spark and even joined a few run club sessions. I’ll be honest; those group runs have really pushed me out of my comfort zone! I’ve always loved a nice, long, slow run, but short and speedy intervals? Not so much. Still, being surrounded by people who share a similar mindset, who challeng...

Winter Walks & Warm Talks

  “Some moments are soft in pace, but solid in memory.” A few days in London felt like the perfect way to begin my winter travels.  Reconnecting with friends I hadn’t seen in a few years, reminiscing about the good old Dubai days, sharing favourite memories, and laughing until our cheeks hurt made the short stop incredibly special. It was one of those easy, unhurried breaks where every moment felt light, warm, and full of joy. The city itself was glowing with Christmas magic. Twinkling lights, festive decorations everywhere, and relaxed strolls past decorated homes, Big Ben, the London Eye, Christmas markets, Covent Garden, and charming streets and corners brought the season to life. A truly beautiful way to kick off the holiday travels.