Skip to main content

Chúc Mừng Năm Mới

#thisisVietnam

Tết, also known as Vietnamese New Year, is the most important celebration in Vietnam.

For most expats living here (especially teachers), it means time off to travel around South East Asia, but for the locals, it means so much more - spring cleaning, family reunions, greetings, lucky money, lion dancing, flowers, traditional games...

While most of my friends and colleagues headed out to explore other countries, I finally welcomed my first guest and discovered a bit more of Southern Vietnam and its traditions.   

Here are some of my highlights:


   -Taking the city bus;
   -Getting a wonderful hair wash;
   -Seeing beautiful flower arrangements around HCMC (*picture on left);






   
   -Going to Phu Quoc for 3 days;
   -Staying in a cute bungalow directly on the beach;
   -Walking along the beach in the mornings;
   -Watching sunsets in the evenings;
   -Island hopping and snorkeling (*picture on left);
   -Swimming in pools and in the Gulf;

   -Exploring the Mekong by car, by foot, by boats (*picture on left) and by bicycle;









   -Relaxing for several hours at a luxurious spa, getting all kinds of treatments, such as a scrub, a massage, a facial, a hair wash and some nail care;
   -Watching a "cheesy" movie in Gold Class (*picture on left);
   -Attending an impressive show at the Opera House;
   -Watching the Canadian Olympic men's hockey team play on tv at some     pubs;




   -Spending time with friends (*picture on left);
   -Eating LOTS of food and drinking LOTS of juices and smoothies;
   -Getting a decent amount of work done for my online course;
   -And of course, working out at the gym and fitting in a couple runs.





Looks like a pretty well-balanced holiday, don't you think?

Chúc Mừng Năm Mới!
Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a World Full of Noise, Let’s Show Understanding

“Not everyone processes uncertainty the same way, and that’s okay.” The past few days have been unexpected. What started as a normal Saturday - coaching at the gym, breakfast with a friend, catching up on work with the TV on in the background - quickly changed when I heard a loud “boom” coming from outside my apartment. At first, many of us in the community assumed it came from one of the many nearby construction sites. But, within the next few hours, the loud sounds came again and again, and word spread that these were missiles and drones being intercepted in the sky. I’ve always felt safe here in the UAE, and believe it or not, to a certain extent, I still do. Like many other residents here, I have a lot of trust in the country I’ve chosen to call home for over 11 years. I’ve seen it overcome challenges in the past, such as COVID and floods, and I’ve witnessed how much the leadership cares for the residents, particularly over the last few days.  That said, it’s no secret that I a...

Back on the Dubai running scene

  “The beauty of running is in its simplicity; just you, your breath, and the road ahead.” After a long hiatus, I finally made my return to the Dubai running race scene! When I first lived here between 2012 and 2017, I took part in many road races and absolutely loved the local running community. Even after moving to Vietnam, I kept the momentum going for a while, completing a few 10km, 21km and even a full marathon, especially in my first year there. But as I got more into CrossFit in 2018, running gradually took a back seat. Since then, I’ve continued to run, but without the same structure, purpose, or goals I once had. That all changed a couple of months ago when I decided to reignite my running spark and even joined a few run club sessions. I’ll be honest; those group runs have really pushed me out of my comfort zone! I’ve always loved a nice, long, slow run, but short and speedy intervals? Not so much. Still, being surrounded by people who share a similar mindset, who challeng...

Winter Walks & Warm Talks

  “Some moments are soft in pace, but solid in memory.” A few days in London felt like the perfect way to begin my winter travels.  Reconnecting with friends I hadn’t seen in a few years, reminiscing about the good old Dubai days, sharing favourite memories, and laughing until our cheeks hurt made the short stop incredibly special. It was one of those easy, unhurried breaks where every moment felt light, warm, and full of joy. The city itself was glowing with Christmas magic. Twinkling lights, festive decorations everywhere, and relaxed strolls past decorated homes, Big Ben, the London Eye, Christmas markets, Covent Garden, and charming streets and corners brought the season to life. A truly beautiful way to kick off the holiday travels.